South of Nowhere Full Review

11/11/2015

South of Nowhere Full Review


So here it is. The last South of Nowhere post on my blog.

To start off, I should mention the numbers for each season. Yeah, if you read my episode-by-episode recaps, you can tell when I started getting bored to tears.

7- Season One
7.5- Season Two

6- Season Three

Season one was actually not terrible. The ridiculous production (and the fact that I could have very easily done a count of mics in shots were a bit tiring) was the main reason I can't give this a very high score. Also, the fact that some characters never really had a personality other than the people they slept with was annoying. And then there's the fact that just about every single episode had a '______ here is bad!!!' theme. I get it, it's meant for teens. I just want the message to be subtle and last for more than an episode.

Season two was better. Yeah, this is the season where possibly the most annoying character got spit out into the series, but still, there was so much good in it. Such as Chelsea and Clay. And Spencer.

Season three? Oh, boy! Okay, first off, did they dump the camera (and the cameraman) they had in the second season in the river? Also, why did Aiden and Ashley ever get back together? Why was there a focus on the fame aspect of the show? I started watching the show for an adopted son and a daughter confused about her sexuality. Not about these two sisters who became famous and how, "Oh woe is me I'm no longer famous!"

Okay, the ending of the show wasn't that bad. It was a pretty fulfilling episode. Our favorite couples got together. Blah blah blah.

There were points (especially at season three) where I wanted to stop watching. The fact that the show switched from being this show about a girl confused about her sexuality to a show about how these two sisters yet again managed to fuck up being famous was annoying. I just wanted to end it, so I will admit I rushed the last few episodes. I'm probably never going to rewatch it, but I think I'll always feel that pain when I just really wanted Ashley and Spencer to finally kiss whenever someone mentions this show.

I only ended up liking a few characters. I ended up disliking Ashley because of the whole fame storyline. Glen wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be. Aiden bored me. Kyla had no redeeming qualities. Chelsea is still precious and so's Spencer. Mom and Dad of Spencer and Glen (and the late Clay) turned out a bit better than I expected. Although I wanted a really fucked up divorce between the parents that ended horribly. I know, horrible. 

I'm sad that Clay wasn't on for the rest of the series. I'm glad that the actor realized the fault in his views after leaving the show and grew, though. And even if that meant Clay had to go, I guess it was for the better.

The show was groundbreaking for the time. I mean, this show kind of feels like a building block to Faking It. Now on Faking It, there's an intersex character, a bisexual character, a lesbian character, a gay one.... I don't even remember how many members of the LGBT+ community there is on that show.

I'm glad that this series changed a lot of girls' lives that were confused about their sexuality. That's such a beautiful thing that creators get to experience (that I would love to experience).

And you know what? That's what matters to you. The series changed your life, so I'll let you rejoice in the fact you had it.




0 comments :

Post a Comment