South of Nowhere Apology Recap/Review: 1x01 (and 1x02??)

11/10/2015

South of Nowhere Apology Recap/Review: 1x01 (and 1x02??)


So as an apology gift for being out when 2x08 of HTGAWM airs and not being able to recap it then, I'm recapping every episode of South of Nowhere. 




South of Nowhere is a show about a family escaping the hells of Ohio and moving to L.A. They have an adopted brother who is black, a girl who hasn't realized she's gay yet, and some other brother named Glen. You go, Glen Coco! I know nothing about you, so I had to make my lame Mean Girls reference. There's also Matt Cohen playing an official fuckboy once again. His name is Aiden and he got a girl pregnant. Said girl miscarries and falls in love with the Ohioan sis.

...At least, that's what I heard. I just decided to recap/review this show today after I did the math and realized I won't be able to recap HTGAWM. I tried to avoid spoilers.

I'll do first impressions on all the characters for this post. Next post, I'll get more into recapping/reviewing and all that.

Spencer: She's got that shy "I'm so different from the other girls" thing going on. Which she actually is different from the other girls. 'Cause of that one thing. She's a cute cheerleader who is instantly drawn to looking at some fuckboy. She also kind of reminds me of Amy from Faking It. You know, shy, blonde, and confused about her sexuality...

Glen: Am I spelling his name right? Is it Glenn or Glen? That sums up my feelings on him. Oops.

Clay: I like Clay the best so far. I just really like smart, hardworking characters.

Aiden: Is Matt Cohen typecasted as a permanent fuckboy? I've seen him in two roles so far, and he's a complete fuckboy in the both of them. I mean, I don't mind it, because it makes for good television drama to at least have one fuckboy per season, but is he?

Madison: I feel like she's just another stereotypical 'high school frenemy' here. Like, she's just that character that's overdramatic and rude to Spencer.

Ashley: I feel like you can truly date when this show was created when you see/hear Ashley. I mean, come on. Sooooo 2005. She's got that whole 'edgy high school girl' vibe.

Shawn: I like him. I hope him and Clay become BFFs. They should be study BFFs.

Chelsea: She's pretty and I can't believe that they introduced her by the classic 'walks into you while reading in hallway' move. Actually, this was made in 2005. I can. And that's the sad thing. Except, in real life, whenever you do that, you get a really pissed off look from someone. So 0/10 unrealistic. But, in all seriousness, Chelsea is cool.

Glen's, Clay's, and Spencer's parents: Okay, so I'm still laughing at Spencer asking her mom if she was a virgin when she got married and her mom just exclaims, "ARE YOU HAVING SEX?!?!?" But for real, I like how their parents are more involved in their life than the typical high school TV dramas. But -10 points for the fact that the mom is homophobic. I like the dad more.

Gayest moment? Probably when Ashley bent over and Spencer got a good glance at her tattoo. Also when Ashley and Spencer started holding hands and Spencer had that "OH SHIT" look on her face. Then when Spencer says she's not into labels, and Ashley gives the WLW nod and smile of agreement.

WTF moments? When there were like two/three fights caused over absolutely fucking nothing. I mean, really? Wat. And then Ashley being able to get dressed up, hair perfected, and makeup on and still have time to go to the dance. Do school dances really last that long? Also, how did Spencer and Ashley become BFFs in the matter of just a few hours? Spencer doesn't seem like the type of person to instantly become friends with someone, but I guess I can let that slide, I suppose. Maybe she just felt lonely and was willing to trust anyone. Also, how the fuck did Spencer and Ashley let Aiden go with them? I feel like Ashley would just speed off whenever he came up to the car. I.. I don't... I don't understand... Ashley summarizes it well by saying, "I never thought the 3 of us would end up together," and I TOTALLY AGREE.

My thoughts? This is like the Faking It meets Degrassi of 2005. The production of the show isn't the greatest, and, yeah, all the shots of the LA scenery can be a little eyeroll-worthy at times. However, it's entertaining. I mean, what can you expect of a show from 2005? Some of the characters are just tropes made into flat characters (MADISON) but hopefully they improve on this as time goes on. I don't think this show is the greatest thing ever made, but it has potential.

0 comments :

Post a Comment