Don't Belittle Yourself For Others

5/03/2015

Don't Belittle Yourself For Others


The topic for today hits a bit close to home for me.

Once, before I knew I was what I was, I hit on boys. Actually, not really hit on them. I just hung out around them until eventually they made a move.

There was this boy who I hung around with. He didn't like it when I said smart things about science, art, English, or just random facts I knew. He would always turn his simple head and say, "What?" Eventually, I caught on. It wasn't good for me to know more than him. So I played stupid.

I played stupid for so long I began to believe I was stupid. When I was in that miserable relationship of miserable misery, I was to be stupid. I was to be a child. I was not to have an opinion on much other than him, and that opinion was to always agree with him.

I still catch myself thinking I am actually stupid from time to time, but the thing is, I am not stupid. I have an extremely high English score when I test. I know how to read HTML. I know pretty much what every single file on The Sims is for.
More importantly, I know that these files are utterly pointless to me.
(Don't delete the ccmerged file if you have store content, though, and don't delete these files if you upload Sims)

Now, this guy isn't the brightest. I dyed my hair blonde and he felt as if I did it because I wanted to show the world my level of intelligence. Personally, I just like my hair blonde. Not like he would listen, because he lives in his own little world where everything revolves around him, but I have to clarify here that I am indeed a blonde because I like my hair that way. His intelligence, however, isn't the point here. The point is that I played stupid to make someone feel better about themselves when I should have done the right thing and perhaps gave them a piece of my mind.

One of the times my, uh, unpleasant experience came back was when I was watching The Fosters (10/10, recommend watching when some awesome human being cuts out every single part with Brandon Foster and the lame romances he pursues) 
I spent far too long scrolling through Brandon and Callie fan videos and let me just say it did not improve my mood. They were all better quality than this. Not helping.
Nope.

I did tear up at that scene. It made me realize that there's plenty of people who have gone through similar things like me. They wanted to seem better for someone else, and that's the part that really go to me.

Where in life did we experience this? Where in life did we learn that we had to change ourselves to fit someone else's standards? Better yet, when did we finally learn to stick up for ourselves?
I just want to say that you, reader, do not have to change anything about yourself for others. You shouldn't have to feel that. You shouldn't change your hair, clothes, makeup, personality, or life for anyone else. You change those things for you. You, the person who you're always stuck with. 

Hope everyone's having a great day, though! 

                                 

0 comments :

Post a Comment