Appreciate the People Who Choose Arts as a Career

5/02/2015

Appreciate the People Who Choose Arts as a Career


I learned today I'm going to have to write this post a bit early. I guess while I wait for my ice cream cake to dethaw I'll get started on this. 

Have you ever noticed that we would gladly dish out money for just about anything, but the moment we think a piece of art is cool, then see the price tag, we think, "Oh I/relative/friend could totally make that! Never mind!" 

Listen, artists have rough careers. So, imagine when you were constantly getting asked about what you wanted to be when you grew up. You get asked, "What do you want to do as a career?" What was your answer? Then imagine the following responses to your answer.

"Oh, well, you should always have a backup!" "You always have time to reconsider! You're still young!" "What else are you thinking about?" 

Then realize that we never tell this to people going into politics, science, or math-incorporated careers. We support those people. We tell them that they will have good pay, a good life, and a multitude of other things. It's okay to be those things. 

I think that it's important to support people. Unless they're a freaky murderer who wants to kill everyone. Then, uh, nah. 

This isn't how it's hard to get into an arts career. This is about our constant doubt that someone can make it in an arts career, then when they're trying their best, we choose to be a complete Debby Downer towards them and not support them. Yes, Debby Downer is the term I'm using here to replace the swear words I have in mind. Again, I try not to swear on here.

I think I need to be a bit more clear to some people. Artists spend years on their craft. They spend hours and days at a time focused on what they do. They develop a style over a course of time. Then they spend more time trying to simply get exposure for their art. Then, you, being the person you are, decide that someone else could make it for you for cheaper. Except for the fact they usually can't. 

It's so silly that people look at being a doctor, being a social worker, etc. as a real job, but art is not a real career to them.

To all artists out there that want to make their love a real career: go. Fight for it. I believe in every single one of you. Unless you're that kid in my school who makes raps. You, my friend, are just annoying when you tell girls inappropriate things and bully literally everyone. 

I think most people have a, "It's cool until I have to pay for it," view on art. Which, I think as a society, we need to try our hardest to turn away from that.

I bet Rebecca viewed arts as a legit career.



0 comments :

Post a Comment