Why I (And Many Others) Just Really Love Eve Rothlo

12/01/2015

Why I (And Many Others) Just Really Love Eve Rothlo


We haven't seen much of this woman, but I love her.

When we first heard Famke Janssen was in for the crazy ride of How To Get Away With Murder, I had a theory. If you read any of my HTGAWM recaps, you know that I get approximately .00000007% of my theories right. This theory was not one of my .00000007% I got right. In fact, I got it so very wrong I was shaking my head at myself and was going to tear up from just how wrong I was.

My theory was that Famke Janssen was going to portray a character that was Sam's ex wife. 

Close, but not really.

I thought this to about the second where Eve talked about their past. Yes, it lasted that long. And yes, I am ashamed. 

When Eve opened up her mouth, it was just proving my theory. See, I have a feeling that for the longest time, Sam was attracted to women who are much more intelligent than him. Then he met Lila and felt like he had to put his dick in something. No offense to Lila, but girl wasn't very smart for getting in a relationship with her professor. Never mind the fact she obviously did not have good taste. 

But then Annalise and Eve started kissing, and I was like... well. Then I threw my hands up in the air during commercial break.

One of the things I've appreciated about How To Get Away With Murder so far is that they've never had some tragic coming out scene to the parents. I've seen this so many times I'm fucking tired of it. Gay (and a bisexual) characters just exist, and it's only the audience that makes it that big of a deal. 

I think that one of the things that I hate about those storylines is how close that they can hit to home sometimes. Yeah, I'm a cynical lesbian, but think about the aftermath of it. Some of those characters never really get redeemed past the whole sad gay plotline. Some of them get put on a bus afterwards.

I think that's a very negative, gross way to tell a story about a gay character. Yeah, sure, there can be minor characters who don't have much characterization outside of being the gay character, but what about major characters or recurring ones? 

Many lesbian characters that I've seen end up exactly like the next. They all are young, typically blonde, dated some bland guy, met a brunette girl and realized she was gay, and then she comes out to her parents. One of her parents typically reject her. She has some tearful moment where she screams that she doesn't have to be fixed or helped and TL;DR dad it's not my dream it's your's.

It's so boring. 

Personally, I've been hoping for a bisexual or lesbian female on How To Get Away With Murder for awhile. I wanted to play it safe, so I was hoping for maybe just one character on a case that was in a same-sex relationship. Even though How To Get Away With Murder has been pretty good with gay representation so far, I had to be cautious in my wishes. 

So when we got Eve, the character who was Annalise's lesbian lover from Harvard Law, I was pleasantly surprised. Yet another character who didn't reveal it in a melodramatic way! 

And one of the most beautiful things about Eve is that she's older. She's gone past the age of being a young girl who kisses girls out of confusion. She's confident in her sexuality, just like Connor, Oliver, and Annalise all seem to be. She just showed up to the mess, and she's a lesbian. She is a successful woman with gorgeous hair. And she's a lesbian. They didn't make the revelation that she was Annalise's past lover and make that the only thing about her. And they sure as hell didn't make you wait for a season for you to figure out what she is in relation to Annalise, and then use that as the only thing important about her.

In my Why I (And Many Others) Love Connor Walsh post, I start to talk about some of the more relaxing moments in the show in relation to Oliver and Connor. I will say I forgot about one person who can make any scene more relaxing this season, and it's definitely Eve. Think about it; Annalise Keating is one hell of a hardass. Not that that's a bad thing, but think about how she acts around Nate. Think about how she acted when she's near Sam. There's never really a natural flow between Annalise and either of those guys. She spends most of her time manipulating them. And here's Eve.

It's a fucking miracle we got to see a woman who spends most of her time carrying the world on her shoulders have a break. I think that was one of my biggest critiques of the show in season 1- we never really got much of Annalise acting like a real human. Face it, no matter how much we want to act like Annalise or Connor, we all have an Eve or an Oliver. We have at the very least a close friend that makes us smile or laugh at least once in our lives.

A former lesbian relationship may feel complicated, but "How to Get Away With Murder" creator Pete Nowalk hoped it would actually illuminate some things about Annalise.
"Her husband was having an affair and was possibly a murderer, and it was a very dark version of Annalise," he told Business Insider."I kept thinking, 'I wonder what Annalise was like before all of this happened ... She wasn’t always feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders.' So that’s where the instinct came. I wanted to get a glimpse of who she was when she was our students’ age. From there, came the character of Eve." -Businessinsider.com
It all fell together perfectly. We had a few moments here and there where Annalise was acting like a human being with feelings, such as the moment where she was with her mother. But there wasn't a romantic interest she had who really knew her for the good (and bad) person she could be. And there sure as hell wasn't one who could make her smile.

Now that Eve Rothlo has a bigger part in the story as a big part in the mystery of Wes Gibbin's life, we hope we'll be seeing her more often.

Thank you, Eve Rothlo, for being such a positive fictional character.




0 comments :

Post a Comment