It Gets Better (Or, You Learn How To Deal With It)

2/28/2015

It Gets Better (Or, You Learn How To Deal With It)


I have seen those 3 words just as much as I've seen 'I love you'. And I feel like this post is a mix of those 6 words together. 

I guess I have my ups and downs, and even those days where it feels like I'm on the most boring rollercoaster ever. I've had my moments where I felt like everything was going wrong and then I have a day once a week now where everything just seems to be going right.

But also half of my life is now dedicated to the show these two are on.
Seriously, what the hell, Shonda and Pete, how could you do the thing you did in the last 10 minutes of the season finale to these two.


I guess what I'm trying to say is that life does get better, yeah, but it's also how you take things. Sure, you'll get out of that Really Bad Place, you will. I promise. But also, when things like that Very Bad Thing happen again, you'll be more prepared to take care of it. That's the thing about growing older. You know how to deal with things differently. 

But life gets better when you also learn that you are a unique individual with the ability to do whatever you want and be whoever you want. Life is so strange (and no, my name is not Max nor do I have a best friend with blue hair and no, Rachel is not missing) and I think we don't really ever point that out enough. I mean, in your life, you can love so many different people and literally create new life and now in the modern times, you can declare you're lesbian for Katie Findlay with a few presses of some keys on a keyboard and a press of a button. How do we even function knowing this?
Life gets better because life is strange and wonderful and as you age, you start to care less what others think about you. Life gets better because you realize what you need and what you don't. 

I remember when I was a bit younger and I was getting bullied quite a bit. I just tried passing time because I felt like I couldn't stand up to them. But let me just say, half of the bullies of the world are either housecats or very, very ignorant. Meaning, I literally had to tell a girl to shut up once when she was threatening me and she did absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing. This was done in a 'I'm so tired I could tell this girl so many other things, but this will suffice.' I cried over what this girl kept saying to me, but eventually she moved on and life decided to slap her in the face. 

And I hope, friend, one day, you'll wake up without hating yourself for who you are. I hope you feel at ease with yourself and realize that you're not so bad after all. I love you and you are a valid human being with valid problems and valid feelings. I may not be the best person, but you make me want to bring out the best in me. I hope you become the best you can be.