Shameless US vs UK

8/30/2015

Shameless US vs UK


I haven't posted in a few days- or something like that- but I wanna just say I'm still alive. Some people might hate that the girl with the purple hair and the obsession with How To Get Away With Murder is still kicking, but whatever. Live your way.

Really, I should be reading the first chapter on my theatre book, but I don't want to neglect this blog. It's my little baby that I'm going to grow into a nice, beautiful, angry teenager. Like the kids in Until Dawn or something. Or Victoria Chase.

Anyways, I've been watching Shameless UK because I wanted to see the differences. I'm not even halfway through it or anything (I skipped a lot of the first season because Shameless US and UK are pretty much the exact same) but I think that both are pretty great in their own ways.

There's characters I like a lot more in the UK version, such as Kash and Debbie. I hated both of them in the US version. I think the exact moment I knew I would like Kash in the UK version is when he was talking to Ian and said that it took every ounce of his will to sleep next to a woman every night when he doesn't like the feel of her skin. I felt a similar way when I used to kiss boys I didn't really like.

I like Mickey in the US version a lot more. He's a lovable prick and I love him so much, okay? I needed a character like Mickey in my life, honestly. I also like Fiona in the US version a lot better,
but her and Jimmy/Steve/Jack/Sonny/Johnny weren't as cute in the US version.

I think that the US version has better looking actors/actresses in it, so that could be a big reason people who are used to the US version and try watching the UK version stop watching it. Yes, we Americans really are that shallow sometimes.

Although, I'll admit I've watched Misfits and would be pissed if they made a US version. They'd cast Rudy as someone who looks picture perfect and I'd be so upset. Also, is it bad I was weirdly attracted to Kelly? I also thought Jess was GORGEOUS, but I bet that's not an unpopular attraction. WAIT. I was attracted to Kelly because of the accent. Also I have a thing for people who attack Hitler because my creepy stalker loves Hitler and Nazism because he's a fucking idiot.

Anyways. I think I like how Shameless UK focuses more on other characters other than the Gallaghers. It's revolved around the Estate rather than whatever guy we don't care about that Fiona is screwing this week (yes, shade) and I think I like that more. There's only so much drama you can add in the lives of Frank, Fiona, Lip, Ian, Debbie, Carl, and Liam (lol when is the last time Liam got a plotline) without getting bored with the recycled plotlines.

Also, Monica's sexuality seems to get a bit more attention in the UK version in my opinion.

Speaking of Monica, there's the most important topic. The selling point of the US version is who plays Frank.

I think a lot of people gloss over the fact that Frank is literally one of the most important characters in each series. Yeah, he's an ass. He's an alcoholic ass. However, having William H. Macy portray Frank is one of the best choices ever. Honestly, it was hating Frank that drove me to love the US series in the first place. Watching Fiona tell him off and him giving these hilarious speeches was one of the biggest appeals of the series for me.

So, this one goes out to the US version. William H. Macy, you play a mean douchebag!

0 comments :

Post a Comment