Your Natural Hair is Beautiful!

1/26/2015

Your Natural Hair is Beautiful!


I hope someone else has told you that as of lately, friend! If not, some people really need to step up their game.

Yikes, sorry for not posting in awhile. I've been having a rough time as of lately, but I'll be fully back next month, I'm pretty sure. Just want to let you know that all your support on this blog makes everything in my life so much better. I swear.

Anyways, about two weeks ago- I think- I saw this video from Dove:

While there has been some criticism on this video for the little girls in this video not having curly enough hair, this video has a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful message.


I remember when I first walked into middle school, I walked in and noticed all the girls had hair a lot different to mine. They had neat, straight hair and clean faces. I, however, had wavy, messy hair and broke out a lot. 

The first time I straightened my hair was at my cousin's house. I loved it, honestly. I wanted to keep my hair like that forever, because everyone at school would love it! It made my hair look so much longer! 

I went home, asked my mom if she could do my hair like that every single day, and she pulled out a curlier. She didn't want to purchase a straightener. She did my hair, but it wasn't the same. I cried when I looked in the mirror. I knew my hair wasn't good enough.

I guess why I decided why this topic was appropriate for me to write about today was because there's this girl I know who is trying to get me to straighten my hair every single day. She's trying hard to chip away at my confidence as of lately. She's the kind of girl who has limited interests outside of boy drama and always has straight hair. A few years ago, she would have destroyed me. But today? Heck no.

I can tell you how people would say that I needed to fix my hair or sit down with me and say I'd look gorgeous with my hair straighten, but I feel like my readers would figure that happened a lot without me telling them.

After I started straightening my hair for awhile, I had my days I'd just leave my hair naturally because I was too lazy to do it. There would be random compliments here and there, and I just smiled painfully because my natural hair wasn't good enough a few years ago, was it? So why was it good enough now?
I remember a therapist telling me that me not doing my hair was a sign of me having depression. I also remember a boy telling me too many times that my hair was a mess and I needed to straighten it like the other girls. I also remember my own mother telling me that my hair when it wasn't brushed made me look "homely". 

I started to realize that a huge part of straightening my hair was just looking for approval from others. Because deep down, a lot of our actions when you're young is searching for the approval of others. It's disgusting, vile, and I hope everyone gets past that.

So I would have probably burst into tears if I saw that Dove video a few years ago. Actually, scratch probably. I still cried when I saw it nearly 2 weeks ago. It said all the right words nobody told me before I started burning my hair or putting relaxers in it.  

0 comments :

Post a Comment