Nationalism & You

3/29/2017

Nationalism & You


Unpopular opinion: American nationalism is annoying.

Before I get called a member of ISIS or *gasp* a communist, hear me out.

The United States is flawed. Just like every other country, despite what hanging around on Polandball will tell you. I mean, Liechtenstein made a friend in 1866, but they didn't have women's suffrage until 1984.

this is my polandball oc her name is DevamgunWW2BestcountyTrumpPence leave a favorite and check out my other artwork and don't forget to watch me for more Polandball and Sonic fanart <3


I think that I'm getting more fed up with American nationalism the more I learn about other countries and learn about politics. Look, America has a lot of cool things about it. Like the fact I can, in less than a mile, reach a McDonald's. Also, freedom of religion, so I can practice my faith on this blog as a good Christian woman should.

I also think that the entire platform Trump ran his campaign on irritated me, too.

Look, I'm all for you using your American flag emoji on July 4th and every other day you please. However, when you take every critique of your country to heart and tell people on Facebook to go move to the middle east, that is when I have a problem.

America's court system? Broken. We care more about the image of, "Bad guys need prison where they can get raped lol" than "How do we make these people contribute to society in positive ways". America's school system? Broken. Why can't we teach other languages from an early age to help out these kids? It would provide more jobs and more opportunities for our future. Why does college cost so much? Dunno, but at least we are America! America's infant mortality rate, considering it's a first world country? Embarrassing.

I like to think of America as a small business:
Some people need to believe in it to get it off the ground. However, refusing to admit your flaws in business is going to fuck up your business.

I am not saying that we should run America like a business. 

I mean, plenty of people wanted that when they voted for Trump. With this in mind, they also believed he would bring back coal jobs when oil is cheaper. Half of being an American is finding where you could get something cheaper! Delicious, juicy capitalism tells us to maximize profits, so labor needs to be cheap.

Whatever. People thought Trump was going to fix the divided America. I don't know why they thought that, but I also don't understand why we allow Peppa Pig to exist. So there's that, I guess.

You should be allowed to critique systems in your country without being told that you're communist scum and need to go live in the middle east. How are we supposed to allow change when a good portion of the population meet it with, "COMMIE SCUM HOW DARE YOU GO AGAINST WHAT THE ARMED FORCES OF THIS COUNTRY HAVE ALLOWED THEY DID NOT DIE FOR THIS YOU ARE A FEMNAZI MOO-SLUM"? Just asking for a friend. Mostly so I can make accurate Polandball strips for my OC, DevamgunWW2BestcountryTrumpPence.

I blame what we're taught in schools. I'll give you my whole knowledge of history prior to reading historical webcomics here:


  1. America used to be a colony.
  2. America's founding fathers were rebellious motherfuckers who wanted to make America all official. 
  3. Britains = bad
  4. What are other countries lmao
  5. WW1 was started by the assassination of Archeduke Franz Ferdinand. I don't even think we learned about the Austro-Hungary Empire, looking back now. 
  6. Germany got involved, so eventually they had to pay war reparations to France.
  7. These war reparations led to the rise of Adolf Hitler, a bad man who hated Jews
  8. The Holocaust started WW2, apparently 
  9. The Allies, which contained AMERICA, singlehandedly destroyed the Axis Powers. 
  10. We talked about the nuclear bombs we dropped on Japan for a second, but those bombs were justified because Japan was bad.
  11. The Cold War? What was that?
  12. Uh, America never lost a war. I mean, what is Vietnam, anyways? It sounds like a word you would cough up while choking on orange juice. 
  13. Then the Civil Rights Movement happened. Martin Luther King Jr singlehandedly gave every black the right to be free.
  14. Then we elected Obama, who is black, so we are no longer racists. 
No mention of any of the previous conflict between European countries. I remember watching APH and wondering why France and Britain were always fighting. Turns out they have had a lot of conflict in history. Oh, I didn't learn about that. Why? Because we're AMERICA!

My junior year of high school, I took a government class because I needed it to graduate and I really needed to graduate so I didn't end up like one of those kids from your high school who rap about how their dad left them or whatever. We already had one of those. He deleted me off Facebook for saying Trump probably wasn't a good person to give your vote to. Anyways, my government teacher was big on this image of America. We went over the constitution and the Bill of Rights. He spent a month on the right to own a gun, while barely going over any other rights. 

It would have been interesting if he could have possibly incorporated why we had that right, why he thought it was important, and so on. I got to say, I'm not exactly on either side of the gun debate until I read up more about it. I want to see statistics to really solidify my opinions, and so far I've seen things that make me have mixed opinions. But no, he told us that guns were America. 

Whatever, I'm going to shut up before I get attacked over that. 

It's just concerning to listen to people who are blind to their patriotism and hatred of all things different, and realize that these people with no knowledge outside of their tiny little world and those terrifying moo-slums are changing the country with their vote.  

I like how these people claim that this is the best country in the world until something happens that they don't like. Like when same-sex marriage became legal nationwide. Then it was Obama's fault for ruining the country. 

Loyalty and no room to critique the country until the luh-barrels do something you don't like.

0 comments :

Post a Comment